Breast lifts have become very common these days because of the advanced techniques available. It has become much easier for women to surgically address their sagging breasts and restore perkiness.
Common Reasons Why People Opt for Mastopexy
• Sagging breasts can occur due to multiple reasons. A common cause of breast droop is the aging process. With aging, one of the many changes that occur in the body is the loss of the elasticity of the skin.
• Breastfeeding and pregnancy can cause numerous changes to the size and shape of the breasts, resulting in sagging.
• Sagging breasts affect a woman’s appearance, creating body-image issues, and this is one reason why some women choose the breast lift procedure.
• It’s not just about the looks. Sagging breasts can result in the problem of excessive sweating in the area below the breasts and result in the irritation and itchiness of the skin in this region.
• Sag can result in ill-fitting clothes. Finding the perfect clothes that feel comfortable can become a constant issue.
• Besides all the superficial factors, sagging breasts can also get very uncomfortable. The discomfort can increase while sleeping or during physical activities.
• Sag can result in a strain on the back and cause back pain.
• People who have recently lost a lot of weight may experience sagging, and this can leave the body looking disproportionate.
What Happens During a Mastopexy Procedure?
The exact details of mastopexy surgery vary from one patient to another depending on numerous factors, including the current level of sag and the patient’s aesthetic goals. At the start of the procedure, anesthesia is administered to make the patient comfortable.
Once the anesthesia has been given, incisions will be made. These incisions are created in locations that allow the surgeon access to the underlying tissues. The incision that allows the most access is the anchor incision, which involves the creation of a circle around the areola, a vertical incision down from it, and a curving horizontal incision along the breast crease.
Other options include the donut incision and the lollipop incision. The donut incision involves the creation of two concentric circles around the areola. The lollipop incision is made using a single circle around the areola and a vertical incision down to the breast crease.
Excess skin tissues are removed in order to lift the breasts and areolae. Depending on the degree of sag, the areolae may need to be resized or repositioned. In some cases, the breast lift can require around three hours to perform. The time taken is mainly to achieve the best possible effects with the smallest possible incisions and lowest risk of complications.
After the procedure, the patient will be able to return home and recover. In a few weeks, the patient will be able to get back to their normal routine without any discomfort. The results are visible immediately, and full results are visible after bruising and swelling have ameliorated.
Make an Appointment for a Breast Lift Consultation
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Carl Lentz has years of experience and will be happy to help you reach your breast lift goals. Contact our office if you would like to arrange a consultation with Dr. Lentz.