The Traditional Forehead Lift and How It Can Erase Signs of Aging
A forehead lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is designed to correct sagging forehead skin, drooping eyebrows, and the upper eyelids. It erases wrinkles between the eyes and in the forehead.
The procedure works through the alteration and/or removal of the skin and muscles that cause signs of aging like hooding eyelids, drooping eyebrows, frown lines, and forehead furrows. It can be done in an outpatient center, a surgeon’s office, or a hospital. It is usually done on an outpatient basis without the need for an overnight stay.
Although you will be awake during the procedure, the surgeon will administer local anesthesia so that you are comfortable and do not feel any pain. In rare cases, general anesthesia is used instead of local anesthesia.
What Does the Procedure Entail?
• Sections of your hair will be held away from the surgical area. The hair that is in front of the cut line might need to be trimmed.
• The surgeon will make an incision at the ear level. The cut will go upwards and continue across the top of your forehead at the hairline to ensure that the forehead does not look too high.
• If you are balding, the surgeon may use a cut in the middle of your scalp to make sure that there are no visible post-surgical marks.
• Once the excess skin, tissue, and muscle is removed, the doctor will close up the cut with staples or stitches. Your face and hair will be washed before the dressing is applied to make sure that the scalp skin doesn’t get irritated.
Why Is the Procedure Performed?
The procedure is usually done on people over the age of 40 to slow down the signs of facial aging. It can also help people who have inherited conditions, like droopy eyebrows or furrowed lines above the nose. In young people, a forehead lift can raise low-hanging eyebrows that impart a sad look to the face. The procedure can also be performed on people whose brows hang so low that they end up blocking the upper part of their vision.
Are You an Ideal Candidate for the Procedure?
You are a good candidate for a forehead lift if you have one or more of the following:
• Horizontal wrinkles on your forehead
• Deep vertical furrows between your eyes
• Sagging brows
• Upper eyelids that droop and hood the eyes
The Recovery Process
Most patients need to take time off of work for at least a week after the surgery. You can shampoo and shower as soon as the surgeon removes your bandages. For a couple of days, it will be best to rest and relax. You should try and limit any vigorous physical activity (bending, jogging, heavy housework, or any other activity that can end up raising your blood pressure) for several weeks.
Schedule a Consultation
Skilled board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Carl Lentz has helped numerous patients with a variety of aesthetic concerns. Dr. Lentz will be available for a forehead lift consultation, so contact us today to arrange your appointment.